Monday, 19 March 2012

Lucky Charms and other assorted stereotypes.

Brought on by the barrage of St. Patrick's Day, I wanted to understand something, the Irish stereotype abroad.

It's beyond me, but every time someone Stateside mentions Ireland, there's always that guy who talks about Lucky Charms. The funny thing is that we don't even have Lucky Charms in Ireland. I understand because there's a leprechaun on the box, but I find it entertaining that we're associated with it.

I don't believe I've ever heard someone say "top o' the monin' to ya!" other than on non-Irish media.

Also, "Lassie" is not a word I think I've ever heard anyone Irish say, I think that's a Scottish stereotype.

And I really don't think there's that many natural redheads in Ireland to constitute it being considered a common identity of us.

I seldom see someone smoke a pipe. Mostly really old men and hipsters.

Just a quick note on the funny portrayal we have abroad!

No comments:

Post a Comment